
The title says it all! My very busy day started bright and early at 7:15 this morning. I woke up hungry for breakfast, and it was delicious 7-grain cereal and scones. Then I fed the horses with the campers, and went back to get them during morning meeting so we could get them ready to ride. We took three groups on trail rides, so I did a lot of walking today. We lead our horses at camp because we only have three and most of the kids that come to camp aren't that experienced, so it gives them a sense of security. After riding in the hot sun (although there was a nice breeze all day) we went to lunch and had a yummy bean casserole with beans straight from the garden. I had to cover one of the guy counselor's rest hours today because it was his day off, so I sat in his tent and read my book.
During rest hour, one of the kids from the tent across from Kevin's began crying because he was homesick. This was really my first personal interaction with that because I'm not a tent counselor so I don't usually deal with homesick children. I brought him out of the tent and sat in the grass and talked to him for a while and he told me that he missed his mom and that he didn't really want to come to camp in the first place. I was a little sad about that but I consoled him and he eventually felt better and got back in bed and took a nap. I felt good because I had comforted him and made him feel better; I felt really accomplished. He also cried at dinner and I took him outside and talked to him and found out that his parents have been divorced since he was three; that's part of the reason he's so sad all the time he said. I told him that I've been through a divorce and that I know what it feels like. It's really good sometimes to get on a personal level with the campers because then they really listen to you.
After rest hour we did activities and I did nature both periods we went to the place in the woods where we usually have campfires and talked about trees. Then we played a game and then we drew pictures of trees that we had created. It was a lot of fun! Swim was after that and I didn't get in because I was a counter, but I went swimming after supper. Oh yeah, the senior campers got back from there three-day hikes today and it was nice seeing all the counselors again.
Here are the pics; I rode Fancy today after all the kids had ridden; there are a few ones of the kids riding and one has a great view of the mountains I get to see every day; that flower is an evening primrose and we watched it bloom last night (it was the COOLEST thing ever); also the moon rising was pretty great; and of course, the swimming hole.
More tomorrow!
2 comments:
Hi, Jordan:
It continues to be great to read your blog and see these great photos of camp--the kittens are precious, and the picture of the full moon was really beautiful. I am glad to have such a variety of things to do; that must make a very busy day nonetheless feel like a very satisfying day. Good for you for being so attentive to the homesick camper--it sounds like you were just the right person for him to talk to.
Uncle David and I are headed to Savannah next week for some R and R, so we may not have access to your blog--do know we are thinking about you!
Love,
Aunt Ellen
Hey Jordan,
Thanks for putting up this blog so we can see what your horse camp is like and hear some of your stories. When Aunt Ai sees your pictures from the camp, I bet she will ask if she can be a counselor there... she loves places like this. --- Uncle Tony
Post a Comment